State the Aims and Objectives of the programme as fit into the mission and plans of the institution and national demand for the programme.
The programme aims to give students the skills and specialist knowledge required to significantly enhance their career prospects in research and in Academia relating to the field of Telecommunication Engineering.
In pursuit of the above aim, the following objectives will be carried out, namely, to:
- provide students with deep knowledge in theoretical framework of a broad spectrum of topics relating to Telecommunication Systems and Engineering;
- provide graduates with the skill to carry out far-reaching research in Telecommunication Engineering related topics; and
- develop new technologies for improved Telecommunication Systems Operation.
The programme will develop the Telecommunication Engineering skills of students through expert teaching and extensive research work undertaken in collaboration with industrial partners.
Students’ admission, progression and graduation
MSc/MEng/MPhil degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering and Computer Engineering disciplines from a recognised University. Applicants with degrees from closely related disciplines such as MSc/Meng/MPhil in Electronics or Physics could also be considered.
In addition to the general qualification, candidates must pass an interview.
Qualifications for retention
A student must register the required courses during each semester and attend lectures in order to continue in the programme.
Requirements For Graduation
For the award of the PhD degree, the student must have
- passed all taught courses.
- achieved a minimum of 90 credits hours.
- obtained a minimum pass mark of 50% in any examination.
- obtained a minimum cumulative weighted average (CWA) of 55.00 (for taught courses and seminars)
- Passed a comprehensive examination in a maximum of two sitting and
- submitted and successfully defended a Thesis.
Employment opportunities exist for graduates of this programme in the following areas:
- Electronics and Communication Research Institutes
- Research in Mobile Communication Services
- Research in Networking Industry
- Research for Third Party Service Providers such as Huawei, Eaton, ATC and Helios
- Clients such as banks and other institutions requiring telecom services
- Teaching and research institutions.
- Self employment
MODE OF APPLICATION
- Applicants (International) must apply online. International applicants who are admitted will be required to pay an application fee of USD 200.00 before registration.
- Candidates should proceed to online admissions website: KNUST Application Portal and begin the application process.
- Once the process has been completed, candidates MUST PRINT OUT 2 COPIES of the completed application form from the portal and submit them (by post) to the School of Graduate Studies together with all relevant documents (Photocopies of Certificates, Recommendation Letters, and Transcript for those attending KNUST for the first time) to the following address:
School of Graduate Studies